2.7.08

I love teachers...

I love to read and write. I love learning. I think it's out of sight. I love the kids I have. And the ones I'll have next year.(boom de yadda)(boom de yadda)(boom de yadda)(boom de yadda).

I love that Discovery ad--if you haven't seen it, it's here. I think videos like this showcase one of the most positive aspects of you-tube and other sites like it--their ability to pass the positive and people's responses to the positive around the world.

I like using resources like this (sometimes, obviously, under the radar of those who block useful websites) in my classroom. They are inspiring and invigorating and uplifting and fun to imitate. We've done our own versions of the Obama "Yes We Can" video--written parodies of various "teaching" videos, watched the Challenger tragedy and responded to it and generally made writing part of the experience of watching. It's amazing how inquisitive students are (and how much easier it is to teach analysis) when they hear the world "you tube". I don't let the technology take the place of the lesson, but I certainly love using it as a tool. (plus, of course, a whole class of eighth graders quietly humming "boom de yadda" while they write their poems/stories/responses is not to be missed.)