27.9.07

How do you hold a rainbow...

My entire district is *focusing* this year on reading comprehension. We are supposed to cross content, cultural, and literary lines in our quest to make sure our kids comprehend what they're reading.

But what does this mean?

Does it mean, as it often does, that we are really looking for a better product instead of looking at the process?

Does is mean that I can, finally, just teach my kids to enjoy reading and call it a day?

Or does it mean that I'll be sent to another few days of training to learn about how to teach vocabulary? Because, and I'll let anyone within hearing distance know this, vocabulary and reading comprehension are not the same. They are linked, sure, but I think it's much easier to get kids to read and have them learn vocabulary that way then to teach vocabulary and have them magically begin to read.

Sheesh.