7.12.06

thursday thirteen, six it is!


My first thirteen(current) yet to be read stack


1. Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami--I love the man. His writing affects me much like Gabriel Garcia Marquez's. I emerge from his books a little bewildered and completely exhausted. I love it. He also has a cool website.
2. Death in Cyprus by M.M. Kaye. She wrote most of her books in the 40's and 50's, and they are lovely, light mysteries.
3. Windflower: a novel by Nick Bantock. The man is amazing and each book he publishes is an entrancing work of art. I wonder if this one will topple my current favorite: The Venetian's Wife.
4. Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich. The woman makes me belly-laugh, what can I say? I love watching Stephanie fall in, and out, of love, danger, and donuts. I've actually read this one before, but I like re-reading Evanovich when the days get short, and I don't get enough sun. They cheer me up!
5. Memories of my Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Ever since I stumbled upon his Love in the Time of Cholera, I've devoured every single one of his books I could get my hands on. They are beautiful.
6. The Ghost's High Noon by John Dickson Carr. One I haven't read by the master of the locked door mystery.
7. Story Time by Edward Bloor. So far, fantastic--a flying girl! Genius children! And demons!
8. The Stupidest Angel: a heartwarming tale of Christmas terror by Christopher Moore. More demons! (Or is it an angel?) Also zombies, idiot townspeople, and the world's most mishandled miracle. I love Christopher Moore, and I keep his books on constant rotation.
9. New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. If you haven't read Twilight, the first book in this new author's series. Go get it. Now. Meyer has created a world that perfectly meshes a teenager's first love and vampires. She's worth staying up till 1am for!
10. Himalaya by Michael Palin. I loved! the tv series. I'm reading the book.
11. Understanding Reading: sixth edition by Frank Smith. This man is utterly amazing. I've blogged about him before (in July), but was reading the fourth edition, the sixth has all of the great stuff before+more. What a deal!
12. Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I'm actually attempting this book for the third time. My students love it--but I've found the prose to be a little...much.
13. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Because we're reading it outloud to each other in class. And because I laugh too hard at the jokes if I don't read the sections to myself the night before!



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!