8.1.09

breathe in, breathe out, move on

I've worked, well, forever, it feels like. Certainly since the moment I was old enough to have a work-permit from school. I was a waitress, a cafeteria manager, a horseback riding trainer, a teacher, and an editor. So, now, to be without a job--it feels odd. I've noticed, though, that getting a job in my new country may not be the easiest task. Especially in the current economic climate, the general feeling is one of "this is going to take awhile", and, even if my possibly-future employers didn't have to call the U.S. to contact my references, I think it would be a difficult bet. I'm starting to worry that I won't find a job anywhere because, as varied as my resume is, it doesn't actually apply that well to the current UK job market.
Obviously, this is partially an excuse to swan around reading books and playing Oblivion, but I've also never not had a job while searching for my next job. Somehow, it's easier to update your resume if you are doing it covertly on the computers of the business you are trying to flee. Misery, obviously, makes me work harder. And I'm not miserable. I love being married. I love swanning around reading and playing video games. I know, though, that I also need to work and have something to do, so I am slowly getting my resume together and trying to figure out what to do next. So far? I have a list that consists of: not teach (teaching, at least at a public school in the US, made me angry--not at the students but at the situation that teachers and students alike were forced to view as status quo), work with animals, work with adult learners, work at cool company, edit books, read, horseback ride. Obviously, the idea of reading for a living and horseback riding are hold-outs from my pre-teen years, but when you have to freedom to look around and move slowly? Who knows what will happen.