10.7.06

i've finally found what i'm looking for...

and it's not a cheesy U2 song. My book-of-the-moment is Frank Smith's "Understanding Reading." Although I only have the 4th edition (and it is up to 6th), I'm finding that his combination of hard cognative science and good instincts are really helping to solidfy some of my feelings on reading.

I'm still in the early stages of the book. However, he has already brought up the necessity of reading being central to any curriculum and the idea that students may, themselves, create blocks to reading that have nothing to do with instruction but need to be worked through nonetheless. I promise a more in-depth review as soon as I get farther along.

ps. Apparently... I am a Jam Cookie!

You Are a Jam Cookie

On the outside, you project a straight-laced, innocent vibe.
But on the inside, you're complex, exotic, and full of flavor.


who knew?